Hello and welcome to the UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital doggy tales blog. Nilani and I encourage you to follow along and please feel free to leave comments. To do so, click on the link at the bottom of the message that says (#) C O M M E N T S. We would love to hear from you.



"The participant is a faculty member at UCSF. However, the views and opinions of the participant expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Regents of the University of California, UCSF, UCSF Medical Center, or any entities or units thereof."



Monday, August 2, 2010

Day #1

Wow DAY #1 was… quite a learning process. It was a mix of emotionsbut mainly excitement and nervousness.

We have 25 dogs and 26 people (15 people receiving dogs & 11 that are helpers). 2 of us are here for Facility Dogs and the rest will be receiving skilled companion and service dogs. The people are divided into two groups and most of the people have a family member or 2 or in some cases even up to 4.

My group consists of 6 people and 2 helpers. Today we started with 3 lectures and than moved on to practicing on a carpet dog. We broke for lunch and I had a visit from Carol (a member of the board and a friend of UCSF) and that helped ease my nerves a bit. So thank you Carol. After lunch they felt like we were ready to start with the real dogs. Today we met nine of them. They are all so cute, it is tough to not have favorites. It was also hard to get up in front of a group, try to handle a dog and than be told in front of everyone what you are doing wrong. I understand the reason for it and I am learning a lot, just a lesson in humility. It is amazing to watch the dogs respond to people. Some would respond and listen to me, while others wouldn’t. It is all about confidence and leadership. I just have to remember to breathe.

On Wednesday, they will decide which dog is ours and on Thursday night the dog spends the night in the hotel with me. I am so EXCITED. I have been told that I can not leak out the name of our dog until Saturday BUT I can tell you that we are getting a Labrador. There is only one golden retriever and it is already promised to someone. The dogs all range in size and color. Some of them are even the size of a small horse and hat is NO exaggeration. I can’t wait to be able to share pictures.

Well I have to go do my homework, yes that is right I have homework. Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I will write again soon.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Jennifer: (AKA: "Jenny")

It was my pleasure to come up and surprise you at team training lunch!

I know you will do well and the wonderful CCI trainers are so adept at selecting just the right dog to match the personality of the recipient!

Continue to do your homework and see you August 13th!

Warm regards,

Carol Weldin, Member
Northwest Regional Board
Sponsorship Committee Advisor, Bone Appetit 2010
Fund Development Committee
Heritage Society Donor

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

How exciting this all is. We can hardly wait to meet our new friend, see pictures, know our dog's name and hear your stories! Everyone in Child Life Services misses you and we know you are learning important things with CCI. I love this blog too, by the way. I will spread the word about it.

Thank you for representing UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital so well, Michael

Teresa said...

Hi Jen,
Loved the update! Sounds like you are doing great. I can't imagine how overwhelming it might feel. We're thinking of you :) Can't wait to hear more updates.
Take care,
Teresa

Jenny and Future UCSF Doggy said...

Thank you everyone for following me through this incredible experience and your continued support. I wish there was a better way to include you all but for now you get to hear bits and pieces. Please spread the word and continue to read for more stories. Starting tomorrow (Wednesday August 4th) I will be able to share stories about the dog that I will most likely be bringing home with me.