Hello and welcome to the UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital doggy tales blog. Nilani and I encourage you to follow along and please feel free to leave comments. To do so, click on the link at the bottom of the message that says (#) C O M M E N T S. We would love to hear from you.



"The participant is a faculty member at UCSF. However, the views and opinions of the participant expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the Regents of the University of California, UCSF, UCSF Medical Center, or any entities or units thereof."



Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day #3 and #4

Well day 3 and 4 have come and gone. I have been given my pre-placement and (s)he is perfect. (S)he was in my top three choices and after working with it for the past 2 days I know (s)he is a great choice. I am going to call our dog N for now.

Today we had our first test brining the dogs to lunch with us. N did great!! N is not easily distracted by food on the floor, (s)he didn’t even try to jump, sniff or lick. At one point I bent down to help another lady pick up the food she dropped and had my plate right in front of the dog and (s)he looked the other way. That could have been very bad! Today’s lunch was a test for tomorrow. Tomorrow is our first field trip. We are all going to bring our dogs to a restaurant. Oh I am a little nervous, but I know we will do great. There was one dog today at lunch that was having such a hard time. He was sniffing, whining, trying to put his nose on the table and trying to eat food off the floor. I am so glad that is not our dog!

Today we also practiced grooming the dogs and N loved being brushed. (S)he went straight on to her/his back. (S)he was squirming all over the place trying to make sure I got its tummy and back. We learned that the grooming of the dog is so important! Both for physical and psychological reasons. We will have a very well groomed dog! The funniest part of the grooming was brushing the dogs teeth. This has to be done daily. The dog got so excited and was trying to eat the tooth brush. Human tooth paste is mint flavored. Guess what flavor the dog’s toothpaste is……..Meat flavored!!! There breath doesn’t necessarily smell the best but the dogs love it, they go nuts!!!! While you are brushing they are trying to lick and eat the brush. Very funny.

N has a great will power and if (s)he is in a command (s)he will not run after her/his toys until put on a release command. (S)he is very playful, the second you start to pet N (s)he rolls on to her/his back for you to scratch it’s tummy. N will do great with the kids. There are maybe 5 or 6 children here and they have come over and sat with us and (s)he doesn’t mind at all.

Tonight was our first night back at the hotel and we played a little. Afterwards N jumped onto the bed and cuddled with me for a while. N even fell asleep IN my lap. I hated having to wake N up to put her/him back in the kennel. It is one of CCI’s rules though, “until we bring the dog to our house the dog must sleep in the kennel.” I think this is just incase they do not think the pre-placement is working out.

I can not wait to share pictures of the dog. I can share a few tips about OUR dog…
•(S)he is beautiful and my new best friend 
•(S)he is very hairy. I will never be able to wear black again unless I buy a lifetime supply of lint brushes!
•(S)he is a snorer
•Loves to have it’s teeth brushed

That is all I can share for now. It is time for me to go to bed. I have to wake up early enough now to get myself AND a dog ready for school/work.

Thanks for reading and your continued support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, this is soooo exciting. Thank you for taking the time to let us all be part of your wonderful experience, even from far.
I cannot wait to hear more.
Don't get mixed up with the tooth pastes!!!
See you and your "mystery" friend soon.
Beatrix